Main article: Ponymarillion:Outline
* Currently we are discussing this project on Ponychan /fic/ thread here
And hopefully in Story Talk; if there is interest, we may do a book-club thread (Bronies Read: The Silmarillion) on one of the major forums.
Note: This is a Work In Progress and the chapter headings are subject to change.
Right now the Silmarillion chapters are used as a guide but may end up being substantially rewritten.
1: Of the beginning of days
2: Of Twilë and Shyavanna
3: Of the First Ponies and the Captivity of Tírek
4: Of Hourglás and Derpian
5: Of Alinor and the Princesses of Aponië
6: Of Starfall and the unchaining of Tírek
7: Of the Elements of Harmony
8: Of the Darkening of Amane
9: Of the Doom of the Alidar
10: Of the Unicorns
11: Of Earth Ponies
12: Of the Sun and Moon
13: Of the Return of the Alidar to Little-Equestria
14: Of Alfalfaland and its realms
15: Of the Alicorns in Alfalfaland
16: Of Tripkë
17: Of the coming of Earth Ponies into the west
18: Of the Ruin of Alfalfaland
19: Of Appelle and Flutterén
20: Of the Battle of Unnumbered Feels
21: Of Pinkamena and the Children of Píe
22: Of the ruin of Derpîath
23: Of Clover and the fall of Cloudfountain
24: Of the Element of Magic and the War of Wrath
Of Discord and the Fall of Ponicéan
1: Alfalfaland and the Lands to the North
2: A Map of the Undying Lands of Alinor
2: A Map of Ponicéan & the Sea of Drama
1: Family Tree
2: Heraldry and cutie-marks of the Great Horses of Alfalfaland
3: Starswirl's letters (an early pony alphabet) and the Cólth
4: A Brief Glossary of Neighnya, the ancient pony language
5: Translations of "actual" pony names into Elvish
1: The Gem Verse
2: Cover art for the Ballantine edition
3: The prologue to the unauthorized /oat/ edition
Index of names -- Appendix: Ancient Ponyish names.
About This Fic
Main article: Ponymarillion:About
The Ponymarillion is a fan-created wiki ("ficcy") devoted to a fan-fictional parody of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic created by Lauren Faust. Content submitted here may be construed as derivative of copyright or copyleft works by individual authors, however, the entirety of work submitted here shall be considered work-in-progress and is strictly for the purpose of satire in the spirit of works such as "Fallout: Equestria" and Bored Of The Rings.
Since this project is still in its infancy, the current version of the story we are working on is Neighnya Ponimarillion I, the "Book of Lost Ponies".
- The original inspiration for the Ponymarillion was this piece of fan art in 2011.
- This version of the story is transcribed from a written manuscript by Brøni Brølaffson aka Hoerstwine, a.d. 510.
- Book of Lost Ponies I will concentrate on parody of the source material from the published Quenta Silmarillion.
- Once that is done, the story outline will be in place to write in more original material, adapting the story to the directions it is taken by ponifying the characters, especially fleshing out the backstory for Luna and Celestia and their parents. This will be done in version 2.0, The Ponymarillion, which would be the main version that would eventually appear here.
- If somepony wants to go deeper, they can attempt to ponify the actual Book of Lost Tales as Book of Lost Ponies II. There are some choice bits in there that bronies would be interested in, but the language is purple, purple prose that makes the Silmarillion look tame by comparison.
- The polished version of the main story line will appear as chapters on this page.
- Versions may have slight or large differences, alternate character interpretation, etc. The only reason for separate versions to appear is to allow for collaborative editing without having to overwrite the original work. It's also in keeping with the literary agent hypothesis, namely that earlier versions are less accurate retellings of the story...
- There's only one version of the story for the time being, since it isn't finished yet.
Because this is a transformative work that draws on multiple sources of inspiration, including Tolkien, some characters and story elements may resemble those used on the actual show, or story elements perhaps planned, but have not yet been included in the actual show (e.g. sea ponies).+ As such, any characters and story elements that actually do appear in the show, or other published fiction, now or in the future, should be considered (a reference to) the property of the respective owners of the show and other pre-existing fictional properties. Story elements might explicitly reference existing work for purposes of satire, and story developments that relate to actual story developments later in the show are not specifically original to the authors of this work, but are instead property of the original work (the show), and its story bible.
Conversely, the actual show may contradict explanations given for events in Equestria's distant past. As such this is to be considered an alternate history (of Equestria), with the cut-off point being the end of the Second Age, when the world of Equestria was separated from Tolkien's world (Earth, later populated by humans,* although the actual humans from the Silmarillion are portrayed herein as Earth Ponies). Prior to that, the premise of this story is that the First Age of Tolkien's world is the ancient history of Equestria, merely mistranslated (by Tolkien).
* Hence the term "Little-Equestria"; or "Middle-Equestria" as it later came to be known (after the drowning of Alfalfaland.)
+ A number of story elements floated in the original rough outline of the Ponymarillion based on hints and story lines from the actual show, actually later appeared in the show itself, or the comics, prior to the fic being published in any form. For instance, Fluttershy's character as a vampire bat, and later taming Cerberus; alicorn Rarity; Elements originating from the Tree(s) of Harmony etc. This can be chalked up to inspiration from the show itself and common elements from Tolkien and other fantasy / comic works.
The Premise (or conceit)
- Each version of the Ponymarillion included here was "discovered" or revealed to the authors as an alternate re-telling of ancient pony history.
- This story has been previously told in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion, based on the Red Book of Westmarch. However, in translating the source material, Tolkien got some of the facts wrong. The ancient race depicted in the source material was not in fact elves as commonly understood, but unicorns and other magical talking ponies. Changes in cultural folklore over the centuries, along with a decline of belief in ponies among the later human residents of Earth, can be blamed for this misconception. Much like hobbits, the pony race was doomed to fade into the cute and cuddly denizens of the fields and forests we know today.
- You may have noticed that some aspects of the history of Equestria (the land of magical, talking, rainbow ponies, unicorns and pegasi) bear some similarity to the history of Middle-Earth. The presence of ancient races, only a few of whom survive; a battle involving sacred, magical jewels; etc. It is obvious that ponies were once considered to be terrifying, fae-like creatures.
- Another essential conceit for the premise of this fic (as more than a series of disconnected parody art) was inspired by the Season 2 Episode of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic -- "Hearth's Warming Eve" -- in which the Mane Six (the six main character ponies from the actual show) "play" alternate versions of themselves from the distant past in order to tell a story of the history of Equestria (the land in which the ponies live). These alternate character versions may be interpreted as suspiciously similar archetypes (as commonly used in cartoon shows) or as ancestors of the ponies we are familiar with.
- A few ponies are taken straight from Tolkien with no implied correlation to existing ponies. This is especially true where no pony would seem appropriate, e.g. in the case of Starfall, Luna's mother; who is basically a ponified version of Fëanor. He simply deserves his own pony.
- A corollary to this is that only a few characters survive the Ponymarillion. These include the characters that actually "play themselves" (i.e. the actual characters who later appear in Friendship Is Magic, not ponified Tolkien characters or historical characters "played by" alternate versions of ponies from the show.) Two of these characters necessarily include Luna and Celestia, who have central roles.
- Pony naming conventions are rooted in Neighnya, the Ancient Pony language. Traces of this dialect can be seen amongst high-born ponies in later ages, e.g. Miamorë Cadenza. However, other names used may have elements of straight parody (presumably Ancient Punnish), with a liberal sprinkling of vernacular or "lesser" Pony names we know and love. Much like hobbits, ponies prefer simple, cute, descriptive names in plain English, but historical and high-born ponies have increasingly "high-falutin'" sounding dialectical names. Lesser Pony names such as Clover the Clever may be interpreted as direct translations from Pony into English in order to retain a familiar and "cutesy" connotation, as they are on the show.
- Many of the ideas of crossing over My Little Pony into an epic, Tolkienian context have been previously used in other fan-fictions. It is important to note that the original authors of the Ponymarillion collaborative work (Ponyweed, et al.) had not read any of these works prior to developing the core concepts, outlines, etc. of the Ponymarillion, many of which were in place as early late 2011 (the bronies involved were convalescing from shell shock from the Great Pony War at the time.) Any similarities may be chalked up to use of the same source material and cultural osmosis (e.g. inspiration driven from the overall fan depiction of Luna and Celestia's past).
- Fluttershy was cast as the Lúthien character prior to canonically defeating the Hound of the Underworld on the actual show, for instance. (In the episode "It's About Time".)
Main article: Ponymarillion:About#Versions
- Why didn't you write it back in 2011, you may ask? Well, aside from wanting it to be a collaborative fic with other bronies (who happen to be Tolkien nerds), the original author (Ponyweed) hadn't come up with a sufficient number of names back then (and as you probably guessed, names in Tolkien are everything); and was just planning to do a series of parody illustrations... a feat which alone required more artistic skill than any one brony had at his or her disposal, and was originally a series of sketches, due to the quantity and high quality of similar artwork. So the idea was set aside for a collab on MediaWiki, until the subsequent writing of the Story Outline, at the request of a friend, spurred the development of names for the alternate / ponified characters, which led to drawing of a map, which brought the story far enough along to actually write.
- Names used are the current working version (Book of Lost Ponies I) and some of them may be subject to change in other versions of the story. Tolkien provides us with a guide to this level of obsessiveness, but it's also useful because although many of the initial story elements provide good inspiration, other elements of the story are open for other hearts and hooves to work on, so to speak.
Safe For Woona
This ficcy is intended to be in keeping with the spirit of both of the original source materials. What this means in practice is that subject material which would not ordinarily be found in the Friendship is Magic animated series is introduced only where required by the story constraints of The Silmarillion and otherwise for the purposes of parody and/or satire. Any and all references to adult subject matter should therefore be handled as they would be by Tolkien in his various works, all of which were for a mature family-friendly audience. This also means that explicit or grotesque content does not belong in the fictions hosted in this collaboration. Translation: If it doesn't belong on Ponychan, it probably doesn't belong here!
If somepony does not like the way this ficcy is going, or don't like the rules, they are free to publish a fork of some part of it on another fanfiction site, or link to it here with the authors' permission, provided that fair warning is included that it is an individualized offshoot of the main fic, not part of this collaboration and not subject to the same creative process. We claim no responsibility or authorship for such works. Links to copyrighted material should be off-site, or clearly labeled as such and for reference purposes only.
Please note that all contributions to Neighnya Ponimarillion are considered to be released to the authors of this site for dissemination by Creative Commons CC-BY-NC-SA 3 license (see here for details). If you do not want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will by the original Ponymarillion authors, then do not submit it here. You are also promising us that you wrote these edits yourself, or copied it from a public domain or similar free resource. Do not submit copyrighted work without permission!
This is a not-for-profit fan-made wiki devoted to the concept of a "ficcy" or collaborative fictional work. The Ponymarillion is a work of parody and satire under US convention. Contact us here about becoming an author, senior editor, or illustrator. Or just go to the talk page.